Sunday, February 10, 2013

C4T Post #1

Paperless Learning is becoming more of a trend as more schools place restraints on the amounts of paper their teachers can use.

For Comments for Teachers Assignment number one I was assigned to Brain Bennett's Blog. Mr. Bennett is a chemistry and biology teacher in Indiana. He has been teaching for three years. He writes about using technology to teach and simple teaching methods that other teachers can pick up on.

The first post of his that I commented on was about attending a webinar on how Flip Learning can be applied to teaching science. Mr. Bennet goes on to explain that many times he walks his students through procedures step by step or demonstrates how to do an experiment. He does this because he does not have faith that they will get to the correct answer if he allows him to complete the way they want to. After attending the webinar he decided to scrap his lab and allow the students to discover things on their own. He was shocked when the average error was only 2% for his first two classes. I commented on his post telling him that through him sharing his experience he inspired me to allow my students to discover things on their own. This is part of the learning process and we have lost the sense of discovery because we have become more worried about procedures. I also told him that his experience gave me faith that students still have the drive to push themselves when the answer is not right in front of them.

The second post of Mr. Bennett's that I commented on was Not Paperless? No Problem. I enjoyed this post because as a future teacher I am well aware of the paper restraints that schools have placed on their teachers and faculty. Mr. Bennett shares several creative ways for teachers to conserve paper. His suggestions include personal whiteboards, neon whiteboard markers for black table tops, saving and using scrap paper, using master sets, and using the internet to post homework assignments and questions. I commented that I really enjoyed reading his suggestions for alternative paper usage. I also shared that I will be putting several of his techniques into practice in my own classroom in just a few short years.

No comments:

Post a Comment